About The Kolkata Parish & Projects
FACETS OF OUR CHURCH
Janata Medical Service
GOLDEN JUBILEE PROJECTS:
The Kolkata Mar Thoma Church Golden Jubilee Mission
The Mar Thoma Medical Mission & Community Development Society
-Mar Thoma Balawady, Dakshin Jagaddal
-Mar Thoma Balawady, Bibirchowk
-Mar Thoma Balawady, Raghunathpur
The Mar Thoma Education Society
-St. Thomas Mar Thoma English Medium School
The Mar Thoma Co-operative Housing Society
North East Mar Thoma Centre
404, Dwarir Road
Dakshin Jagaddal, Ghoshpara
Kolkata – 700151
BRIEF HISTORY OF KOLKATA PARISH
For most of the Marthomaites who stay and work far away from their home, the first priority is to meet together, pray and have fellowship together. We thank God for the inspiration He gave to the Christian youth who came to Calcutta in search of job during the Second World War. They organised meetings in small groups and met in different places for prayer and fellowship.
A church building is some times called God’s house. In reality, God’s house is not a building but a group of people who worship God and experience the joy of His blessing.
In the early days i.e. in the 1920s and 1930s, the Calcutta Malayalee Christian community had their combined worship on Sundays at the Bishop’s College premises and the order of worship was according to the rights of the Jacobites, Mar Thoma and Anglican churches. But after the second world war, the Bishop’s College premises were taken over by the Military, following which their worship venue was shifted to Holy Trinity Church, Amherst Street. As the Second World War created ample avenues of employment, there was an influx of Keralite christians into this city, resulting in the organization of separate denominational Churches of Jacobites, Mar Thoma and C.S.I. in Calcutta.
The Mar Thoma congregation came into existence in Calcutta in 1947 and the services were conducted by Rev. C. E. Abraham who was a Professor of the Serampore College. He was the Honorary Vicar of the congregation and the successive Achens who served the parish had the advantage of taking his advice on all important matters.
Two sisters Mrs. Tarulata Mitter and Mrs. Hemalata Roy had donated the land at 29 Ahiripukur Road to us and worship started there in 1949. We got vacant possession of the land from the tenants only in 1956 and the foundation stone of the Church was laid on 11 December 1965 by His Grace Rt. Rev. Dr. Mathews Mar Athanasius. Dedication service of the Church was held on 11 November 1967 by His Grace The Most Rev. Dr. Juhanon Mar Thoma assisted by the Rt. Rev. Dr. Philipose Mar Chrysostam. The Janata Medical Hall was inaugurated on the ground floor by Mother Teresa. Thereafter the MMA hall on second floor and Parsonage and Doctor’s Quarters were constructed on the third floor. We could install a lift upto the 2nd floor in 2005.
The Golden Jubilee of the parish was celebrated during the year 1999-2000. To mark the Golden Jubilee of the parish, the following jubilee projects were established:
- The Calcutta Mar Thoma Church Golden Jubilee Mission
- The Mar Thoma Education Society
- The Mar Thoma Medical Mission and Community Development Society
- The Mar Thoma Cooperative Housing Society
For this purpose a plot of 7 acres was purchased at Jagaddal in 24 Parganas (South) which is 22 Km. away from our Church Centre and various developmental works and programmes are implemented. An Evangelist is stationed there and looking after the activities.
Our Annual Fete, a unique event is conducted every year for raising funds for our Janata Medical Service and other developmental works. Our members put in their efforts to make it a success. People from all walks of life participate in the fete where there will be games of fun, sale of various Kerala delicacies prepared by our members, lucky dip etc. Corporates put up their banners and donates various items which are put in the wild fire stall. A Souvenir is also published on the occasion where Corporates and individuals give their advertisements.
After 70 years of our existence, we still feel that our task is unfinished, and we have not done many things which we ought to have done. At the initial period the membership of the church was a mere handful and subsequently it increased manifold and now it is decreasing. Presently we have in our membership xxx persons consisting of xxx families.
MALANKARA MAR THOMA SYRIAN CHURCH AT A GLANCE